Makes about 4 servings
Prep Time: about 20 minutes
I always have loved pasta. A vegan version of Puttanesca is just down right exciting to me! This vegan puttanesca recipe has the strong, salty taste of the original, without the anchovies.
I love to serve this vegan puttanesca sauce over gluten-free spaghetti. Finding a good gluten-free pasta was once a challenge. Now there are tons of options. Jovial makes the best gluten free brown rice pasta, in my humble opinion. But, if you have your own favorite, by all means use what you like.
The secret ingredients in this vegan puttanesca recipe are the Umeboshi paste and the Dulse. They add the fishy taste of the sea. The Umeboshi paste, made from pureed, fermented Japanese ume plums has a rich, strong flavor and the Dulse is seaweed that has a salty sea taste.
This recipe makes enough vegan puttanesca sauce for about 16-24 ounces of pasta.
Ingredients Needed for Vegan Puttanesca
- 2 TBS coconut oil for sautéing
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 TBS Dulse flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup sliced Kalamata olives
- 3 TBS capers
- 8 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 small jar of organic tomato paste (7 oz)
- 2 teaspoons Umeboshi Paste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 TBS dried parsley
- 1-1/2 pound brown rice pasta or other gluten free pasta of choice
How to Prepare Vegan Puttanesca
- Heat a large pan or skillet over medium low heat and add coconut oil
- When the coconut oil has melted, swirl it around to coat the bottom of the pan
- Add the garlic, Dulse flakes, crushed red pepper and water
- Sauté the mixture for a few minutes until fragrant and garlic is just starting to brown
- Add sliced olives, capers, diced tomatoes, black pepper, and parsley.
- Sauté for a couple of minutes to combine
- Add the tomato paste, Umeboshi paste and extra virgin olive oil
- Let everything simmer until tomatoes dissolve and mixture becomes saucy
- This will take about 15-20 minutes
- In the meantime prepare your pasta.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and mix well together.
- Serve and enjoy!
For more delicious vegan, gluten-free recipes, check out our recipes page on HealthTastesGood.com