Gluten free, sugar free
Makes about 4 servings
Prep Time: about 20 minutes
Creamed spinach is one of those favorites that has been around for ages. I have created a vegan creamed spinach that retains all the creaminess of the dairy version but spares you the artery-clogging saturated fat. And, it can serve as a complete meal if you enjoy it over some brown rice or other gluten free grain. I love meals I can eat with a spoon. Not sure why. There is just something soothing about eating with a spoon. I will also make this for my family with brown rice spaghetti. We love the Jovial brand. Its consistency is great and it tastes so good. I have never missed the gluten in pasta. I prefer brown rice pasta anyway! It is easier on the digestion and does not feel like a brick sitting in your stomach.
Spinach is one of those leafy green vegetables we should all be consuming often! It is loaded with insoluble fiber which benefits digestion. For more of the health benefits of consuming spinach, check out this article. I also love the versatility of spinach. You can use it in so many different ways. From creamed spinach to throwing some into a smoothie, it is a great way to get those greens into your diet.
For use in this vegan creamed spinach recipe, I made a simple vegan sour cream using this recipe. If you would rather use a store-bought version, there are lots of brands now available in almost any grocery store. When using store bought, just remember to take a glance at the ingredient list to be sure the one you choose is as clean as possible. I try to avoid chemicals, additives and added sugars that are often hiding within. The link to the recipe provided above for homemade vegan sour cream is easy and the nice thing about home made is that you know exactly what you are getting. No hidden ingredients or additives. That, to me, is always a huge plus.
This vegan creamed spinach recipe can be put together in less time than it will take you to cook your brown rice or gluten free pasta accompaniment.
Ingredients Needed for Vegan Creamed Spinach
- 5 TBS Earth Balance or your choice of vegan butter, divided into two equal parts
- 3 TBS gluten free flour (Bob’s Red Mills is an excellent choice)
- 1 cup almond milk or dairy free milk of choice (click here for link to homemade almond milk recipe)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup of vegan sour cream (see link for homemade recipe above or use store bought)
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 large package of fresh organic baby spinach, rinsed
- ¼ cup vegan parmesan cheese (Follow Your Heart is my favorite)
How to Prepare Vegan Creamed Spinach
- Using medium heat, melt 2 ½ tablespoons of vegan butter in a small pan
- Once the butter is melted, stir in the gluten free flour and salt until they are well combined
- Slowly mix in the almond milk, whisking as you add the milk until you have a smooth, thick sauce base
- Remove the sauce base from heat and set aside
- Melt the remaining 2 ½ tablespoons of butter into a large pan (large enough to fit all of the spinach into before it is wilted)
- Add the onions and cook them until they are transparent
- Add the baby spinach and water to the pan
- Stir the spinach around in the pan until it reduces and wilts
- Add in the sauce base, vegan sour cream, and parmesan cheese
- Stir everything together until well combined
- Simmer for a couple of minutes
- Remove from heat before the sauce thickens too much
Serve over brown rice or other gluten free grain or pasta
For more delicious plant-based, gluten free, no refined sugar recipes, check out our recipes page on HealthTastesGood.com