Prep Time: About 70 minutes total
Makes About 8 servings
The oozy stretchy cheesy yum of French Onion Soup is difficult to mimic when you can’t have the dairy version of cheese. But, vegan options are getting better and closer to the real thing than they were a few years ago. My favorite is Violife brand. Their taste and texture comes close!
This French Onion Soup recipe is completely vegan and gluten free. For the croutons, I cut up some gluten free bread into crouton shape cubes and toasted in the oven until they firmed up into croutons (about 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven). There are also many gluten free crouton options on the market now that are derived from everything from quinoa to rice and millet.
Onions are in the allium family. So many health benefits are obtained from consuming alliums. They should be a regular part of any healthy diet. French Onion Soup is rich in alliums with the onion and garlic that are the major makeup of the soup.
Organosulfur compounds are contained in alliums, a form of sulfur. Widely known health benefits are available in these compounds. As an example, they have antioxidant, antiviral, and antibacterial properties. These compounds have also been shown to help prevent blood clots, are anti-inflammatory, immune-boosting, and potentially anti-aging. This article outlines some of the health benefits of alliums.
This is an easy recipe to make. Although there is one hazard the presents itself during prep of this French Onion Soup. You may need some goggles when you are chopping up the onion! If onions bother your eyes, be prepared to try to combat the discomfort. One trick I have learned is to cut into a chilled onion. This is known to produce fewer tears than chopping one that’s room temperature. This article provides additional tips for onion chopping.
Ingredients Needed to Prepare French Onion Soup
- 6 large onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbs coconut oil
- 10 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ⅓ tsp black pepper
- Shredded vegan mozzerella cheese shreds ( I like Violife)
- Gluten Free croutons
How to Prepare French Onion Soup
- Melt the coconut oil in a big pot
- Sauté the onions in coconut oil until they are translucent (you may want to add some water to sauté instead of adding additional oil)
- Add garlic and sauté with onion for a few more minutes
- Stir in the vegetable broth and seasonings
- Bring the soup to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 40 minutes
- Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking
- Ladle the soup into small soup crocks
- Add some gluten free croutons to each crock
- Top with shredded vegan cheese (my favorite these days is Viola Life, but there are many available)
- Place in the oven under broiler for a few minutes until the cheese shreds melt
- Serve immediately
For more delicious vegan, gluten free recipes with zero refined sugar, check out our recipes page on HealthTastesGood.com.