Makes about 4 servings
Prep Time: About 30 minutes
I love Italian food, maybe because it is part of my heritage, maybe because I am from New Jersey where Italian restaurants are abound, or maybe because it is just so good! Tofu Piccata is right near the top of my list. This version of Tofu Piccata is vegan, gluten-free and delicious. I melded bits and pieces of varying recipes, added a few steps of my own and the result is this recipe. Tofu is so versatile and takes on the flavor of whatever you are cooking it with. This is a savory, satisfying meal that can be whipped up in no time at all.
I like to make this Tofu Piccata with my favorite brown rice spaghetti, Jovial. It is honestly the best pasta I have had and happens to be gluten-free.
Ingredients Needed for Tofu Piccata
1 TBS fresh lemon juice
2 TBS olive oil
¼ cup vegetable broth
¼ cup dry white wine
Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- For Piccata
- 1 package of Organic Extra Firm Tofu, drained and sliced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons Arrowroot Starch
- 3 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 3 TBS capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 TBS dried parsley
Brown rice spaghetti or other gluten-free pasta of choice for serving – cooked and seasoned as you like. For this application, I like to add some Earth Balance, sea salt and black pepper to taste!
How to Prepare Tofu Piccata
- Create the marinade by combining all marinade ingredients together.
- Put the tofu in a bowl and pour marinade evenly over slices to coat. Let them sit in the marinade for about an hour prior to making the Piccata sauce. This step is not absolutely essential, but your tofu will have more flavor if you marinade it first!
- Once you have marinaded the tofu, you can make the Piccata sauce
- In a shallow bowl, add the gluten-free flour and season with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- Dip the tofu slices in the flour and dredge the slices, flipping them to evenly coat. Shake off excess
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of Earth Balance over medium-high heat
- Add the garlic and sauté for a couple of minutes until fragrant. You can also pour in whatever left over marinade remains after removing tofu from marinade
- Add the tofu slices and sear for a few minutes on each side or until slightly browned
- Transfer the cooked tofu to a plate and set aside. Leaving the garlic and remaining Earth Balance in the pan.
- Add another tablespoon of Earth Balance to the pan to melt. Then, add the white wine and mix together to combine
- Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally until liquid has dissipated
- Add 3/4 cup of the vegetable broth (reserve ¼ cup of broth) and the lemon juice to the pan and stir to combine
- Bring to a nice simmer and cook for about 5 minutes
- In the meantime, whisk together the arrowroot starch with the reserved 1/4 cup of vegetable broth
- Pour the mixture into the pan and stir to combine. This will create a sauce that will slightly thicken after a couple of minutes
- Add the artichoke hearts and cook for another minute or two before removing the pan from the heat
- Stir in the capers and then place the cooked tofu slices back into the pan, gently turning each slice to coat in the piccata sauce evenly
- In a pasta bowl, add some of the cooked brown rice spaghetti (or other pasta of preference)
- Add some Tofu Piccata over top of the pasta with a little of the piccata sauce poured atop
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve!
For more savory vegan, gluten-free meal ideas, check out our recipes pages on HealthTastesGood.com.