Makes 4-6 servings
Prep Time: About an hour total
This sautéed veggie pie is a creamy, savory, delicious meal. And, there is not a hint of dairy, gluten or the like. You would never guess it is made with a tofu and cannellini bean base. It’s creaminess rivals any cream-based dairy, egg-y application. The potato layering on the bottom provides a “crust”. It is much more simple than making a dough crust. This makes a filling meal that will satisfy even the most finicky of plant-based doubters.
You can serve this sautéed veggie pie with any side you wish. We love it with salad or roasted broccoli. The varied veggie content and beans in this recipe provide a huge amount of nutrition without the heavy feeling in your belly. For the nutrition breakdown tofu provides, check out this article that outlines the benefits of consuming tofu. When buying your tofu try to be sure to look for organic tofu so you are eating the non-genetically modified, healthy version of tofu.
These days it is difficult to find soybeans that are completely free of genetic tampering because of the cross contamination that occurs when an organic farm neighbors with a non-organic farm. Check out this helpful short article about the brands of tofu that have been found to be least genetically modified.
Cannellini beans are also highly nutritious and add to the creaminess of the pie filling. They are a great source of protein and low in fat. This article breaks down the nutritional content nicely.
Ingredients Needed for Sautéed Veggie Pie
- 1 large potato
- ¼ cup melted Earth Balance vegan margarine melted vegan butter
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 TBS coconut oil
- ¼ cup water
- 1 TBS Earth Balance
- 1 package organic firm tofu
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 2 TBS nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium leeks, white parts, sliced into thin rings
- 1/2 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 8 oz package of sliced white mushrooms
- 5 oz package fresh baby spinach
- ¼ cup Follow Your Heart grated vegan parmesan
How to Prepare this Sautéed Veggie Pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Coat the bottom of a 9-inch square pan with coconut oil
- Thinly slice the potato and arrange on the bottom of the baking pan, covering the bottom as evenly as possible
- Coat the potato slices with melted Earth Balance
- Evenly sprinkle with 1/4 tsp each sea salt and black pepper
- Bake the potato slices for 20 minutes until browned
- Remove the potato from the oven and set aside while you prepare the filling
- Melt the coconut oil in a pan and sauté sliced leeks and minced garlic for about 5 minutes, adding the ¼ cup of water while cooking so veggies don’t stick. This limits the amount of oil you are using as well.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, tomatoes, and Earth Balance. Sauté another 5 minutes
- Add the baby spinach and continue sautéing a couple more minutes until wilted.
- Remove the pan from the heat and set aside while you prepare the creamy part of the filling.
- Drain the tofu and crumble it into the bowl of your food processor
- To the tofu add the nutritional yeast, cannellini beans, sea salt and black pepper
- Process until smooth like a hummus consistency
- Mix the creamy mixture into the sautéed veggies and mix until well combined
- Add the veggie creamy mixture over the sliced potatoes and smooth out the top with a baking spatula
- Sprinkle the Follow Your Heart parmesan over the top of the pie
- Bake the pie at 375 degrees for about 20-25 minutes until the top appears golden brown and firm. Remove from the oven and let it sit for 5-10 minutes
Slice into generous squares and serve with a salad or other fresh veggie side of choice.
For more delicious plant-based, gluten-free, no refined sugar recipes, check out our recipes section on HealthTastesGood.com.