Makes about 8 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Vegan, Gluten-Free, Refined Sugar Free
Leave the elves to their tree! These brown rice crispy treats are the healthy version of a classic yum yum. They are gluten free, vegan and contain zero refined sugar. The One Degree sprouted brown rice crisps cereal I use contains some lower glycemic coconut sugar as a sweetener.
While coconut sugar contains some nutrients and fiber, it is still a sugar and should be eaten in moderation. This article outlines some of the benefits and downsides of coconut sugar.
If you prefer to leave out the coconut sugar, Barbara’s brand has a brown rice crisp that is sweetened with only fruit juice. They don’t, however, have the cacao that One Degree has. You can try adding a tablespoon of pure cacao powder to the peanut butter mixture if you go that route. That way you won’t lose out on the chocolatey flavor.
Typical rice crispies treats contain sugar-laden marshmallows to hold the bars together, we will be using peanut butter as the base with a small amount of agave and yakon syrup to sweeten. Peanut butter is high in protein and other nutrients. Check out this article for more information on the nutrient content of peanut butter.
These chocolate peanut butter brown rice crispy treats are super easy to make. And, boy, these are addictive! I can honestly never eat just one. And, since they can be put together in about 10 minutes, they are a treat you can enjoy fairly spontaneously.
Ingredients Needed for Chocolate Peanut Butter Brown Rice Crispy Treats
- 1 cup of creamy natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 2 TBS Yacon Syrup
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3 cups of gluten free sprouted brown rice cacao crisps cereal (I use One Degree brand)
- 1 TBS chia seeds
How to Prepare Chocolate Peanut Butter Brown Rice Crispy Treats
- In a small bowl stir together the peanut butter, agave, yakon syrup, chia seeds and vanilla extract until smooth.
- If you use a new jar of natural peanut butter and scoop out the top one cup where the oil sits, you will have a more smooth, creamy outcome
- In a separate bigger bowl, pour half of brown rice crispies cereal
- Add the peanut butter mixture into the bowl with the cereal and mix together until all of the cereal is coated.
- Add the remaining cereal (one cup at a time) mixing thoroughly to coat all of the remaining cereal.
- Prepare an 8×8 baking dish by lining it with parchment paper
- Press mixture into the baking dish and smooth out to coat the dish evenly .
- Score the crispy mixture into squares
- Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and cut through the score lines you created earlier to cut into squares
- Lift the squares out of the dish and stack on a cake plate or in a container
Keep in the refrigerator to keep them firm.
For more delicious, plant-based recipes, check out our recipes page on HealthTastesGood.com