Soup is a comforting soul food, especially during the winter months. Traditional homemade soup recipes warm the body and nourish the mind. Along with salad and fresh bread, soup is a healthy, satisfying meal. Soup can also have a lot of additional health benefits. Studies show that soup produces a feeling of satiety more than other types of food. Researchers believe this may have to do with its high water content.
In addition, when healthy soups are piping hot we tend to eat more slowly, which gives our stomach time to signal our brains that we feel full. Eating healthy soups may improve our digestive flow, and contribute significantly to reducing caloric intake.
Here are a couple of vegetable soup recipes that are delicious and easy to prepare. They are nutrient packed and made from fresh ingredients.
Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance butter substitute (or other vegan option)
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups rice milk
- 4 oz. Daiya shredded cheddar cheese substitute
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 4 oz. Daiyer shredded pepper jack cheese substitute
Heat coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion. Sauté for five minutes or until onions are transparent. Set aside. In a 5-quart pot or Dutch oven, heat the butter over medium heat until melted. Whisk in the flour and continue stirring, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in rice milk. Add the veggie broth and other ingredients. Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes.
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can white beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 cups your favorite salsa (homemade or from a jar)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Daiya cheddar cheese substitute for garnish
In a pot, sauté onion and garlic in coconut oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add the peppers and cook until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add the other ingredients. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the flavors combine and chili is thick. Garnish with Daiya cheese substitute shreds.