Vegan Scampi Ingredients
Makes about 2 servings if main dish; 4 if side dish
Prep Time: About 25 minutes total
- 3 vegan butter (we use Earth Balance Soy Free Organic)
- 1 TBS Dr. Bronners Extra Virgin coconut oil
- 1 (14.8 ounce) Native Forest hearts of palm
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 12 oz box Brown Rice spaghetti or capellini (Jovial is fantastic)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Follow Your Heart Vegan parmesan cheese to sprinkle over pasta
When I first changed my diet to tackle my health issues head on, one of the things that people always said to me was, “don’t you feel like you are denying yourself.” My response was an unequivocal “NO!” I actually felt, and still feel to this day that I am actually on to something big. I am empowered. The control is in my hands and I choose to drive this body of mine into good health every single day. I realize that I am not on this earth forever, but while I am here, I have chosen to live a healthy life where I feel good, energetic, youthful and fit. What more could I want out of life?
I get to also experiment with my meals and have learned to prepare foods that are not only wholesome and healthy for me, but are fantastically delicious and full of vibrant life. I can enjoy these foods, guilt free, every single day. And, I do not have to count calories, weigh my foods or worry that if I have too many points, my diet will be blown and I will gain weight. When you eat the right foods, weight gain is not an issue. Was is an adjustment? Absolutely, but I chose this path in my life and I have been able to stick with it and enjoy it. For me, it was a matter of life or death. I chose life!
One of my absolute favorite foods has always been pasta. This Vegan Scampi recipe is so satisfying and delicious. I challenge anyone, vegan or not, to try making this vegan scampi. I cannot imagine that any person would find it a meal that denies one of anything. It is satiating and delicious. Plus, it includes hearts of palm, a vegetable that is rich in protein and fiber. It is also high in vitamin C, vitamin B6, calcium, niacin, phosphorous and zinc. Check out this article on the LiveStrong website that touts the health benefits of hearts of palm.
Since I eat gluten-free, I make this recipe with Jovial brown rice pasta. In my humble opinion, Jovial is the best! It works perfectly with this vegan scampi and in so many other applications. It is light and has a delicious flavor and fantastic texture. When I serve it to someone who doesn’t normally consume brown rice pasta, their response is always the same. They love it and note that it does not sit heavy like a brick in their stomach as regular glutenous wheat pasta would. There are other brands and types of gluten-free pasta these days so use what you like! This recipe is quick to prepare and easy to make. Try it! Let me know what you think.
How to Prepare Vegan Scampi
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions
- Drain and rinse hearts of palm. Slice them into ½-inch slices that resemble scallops.
- In a large skillet using medium heat, melt the vegan butter. Add the hearts of palm slices and add salt and black pepper to season.
- Sauté for about 6 minutes until they are fragrant and golden brown turning them so they brown evenly.
- Remove them from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the coconut oil and let it melt.
- Add the garlic and Sauté for 2 minutes
- add white wine vinegar and simmer a couple of minutes until liquid reduces a little bit. Add lemon juice and vegetable broth and let simmer about 5 more minutes.
- Add the cooked spaghetti, sautéed hearts of palm, chopped parsley, and crushed red pepper flakes to the liquid. Toss together well to combine and coat the pasta.
- Add vegan parmesan and serve hot.
For more delicious Vegan, Gluten-Free Recipes, check out our home page: HealthTastesGood.com