Vegan, Gluten-free, no refined sugar
Makes 6-8 side dish servings
Prep Time: about 35-45 minutes total
Potato salad is such a popular summer staple. Is it any wonder why? It is delicious and filling. And, it goes great with just about anything. In this rainbow potato salad, I used purple flesh potatoes that I picked up at the farmer’s market. This recipe will work with any type of potato. Feel free to use any variety you like. I used purple and yellow fleshed potatoes for this recipe because they looked fantastic and they have great nutritional value. Purple potatoes are eye-catchingly beautiful and a great conversation piece. They are also rich in copper, vitamin B6 and vitamin C. For more health and nutritional information on purple potatoes, check out this article.
This is one of the most simplistic recipes I make. You don’t even have to peel the potatoes beforehand. If you boil the potatoes whole, the potato skins can easily be pulled off once they are cooked and cooled. It is so much easier to peel them this way. Plus, I also seem to cut my fingers on the potato peeler so it saves my fingers too.
This rainbow potato salad makes a great side dish. It is filling yet vegan and full of nutrition. Potatoes get a bad rap because of their high- starch content. But, they are actually very nutritious, as the article link above explains.
Ingredients Needed for Rainbow Potato Salad
- 12-14 small potatoes. I used purple and yellow flesh potatoes from the Farmer’s market
- ½ cup Follow Your Heart vegan mayonnaise (or vegan may of choice)
- ½ large onion or 1 whole small onion diced into small pieces
- 1 TBS 365 Organic Tarragon
- 1 TBS Simply Organic Dill Weed
- 1 TBS 365 Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon 365 organic black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Hain iodized sea salt
How to Prepare Rainbow Potato Salad
- Boil the potatoes in a large pot for about 20-25 minutes until they are tender when a fork is pierced into them
- Remove from heat and drain the water off the potatoes using a colander
- Run the potatoes under cold water
- Let sit for about 30 minutes or so until they are cool to the touch
- Carefully pull the skin off of the potatoes
- Rinse the potatoes after you pull the skins off
- Cut the potatoes into bite-sized cubes
- Place the cubed potatoes into a large bowl
- Add the remaining ingredients and toss together until well combined and potatoes are evenly coated
- Serve immediately or chill first, tastes great either way
- Store left overs in fridge, if there are any!
For more delicious vegan, gluten-free, no refined sugar recipes, check out our recipe section on HealthTastesGood.com.