Makes about 6 medium patties
Prep Time: About 10 minutes plus baking time
Vegan, Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free
Jackfruit is an interesting fruit and has become a more popular meat substitute in applications like this one as well as pulled pork-like recipes along with many other uses. What is great about jackfruit is that it is rich is vitamin C and B vitamins as well as folate, niacin, riboflavin, potassium, and magnesium. For more information on the nutrient packed jackfruit, check out this article.
It is important when purchasing your jackfruit to purchase young, green jackfruit. As the jackfruit matures, it becomes sweeter and that changes the taste and texture of the recipe. So young jackfruit is key! This recipe is easy and so so tasty. I have the listed ingredients needed for this recipe in my pantry, but if you are new to vegan cooking, you may not have items such as dulse flakes, nutritional yeast or Bragg’s Sea Kelp Delight seasoning. If you are on the road to plant-based eating, you may want these items to become staples in your cupboard as well. They are easily found in supermarkets such as Whole Foods or online from Amazon or other sources.
Dulse is a type of seaweed. It should not be left out of this recipe as it is one of the things that lends a seafood-like taste and smell to the patties. The Bragg’s Sea Kelp Delight also is highly recommended as it also includes seasonings that are used often in seafood applications. You can serve these patties any way you would serve a regular crab cake. I like mine on a gluten free bun with tartar sauce (see recipe below) and roasted red pepper. It is so yummy. But, you may have your own favorite way of eating crab cakes. They are also great bun free served over a salad.
Ingredients needed for Vegan Jackfruit Crablike Cakes
- 1 small onion, or ½ a large onion
- 1, 20 ounce can young green jackfruit, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 TBS dulse flakes
- 2 TBS nutritional yeast
- 1 TBS Bragg’s Sea Kelp Delight seasoning
- 2 large cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 teaspoons tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup rolled oats ground to a flour (using a magic bullet or blender works great)
- Olive oil for brushing on the patties
For Vegan Tartar Sauce, mix the following ingredients together and serve with your patties
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 TBS dill relish
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
How to Prepare Jackfruit Crablike Cakes
- Using a food processor, Finely chop the onion.
- Add the jackfruit it to the processor.
- Pulse the jackfruit with the onion until the jackfruit is broken into large shreds; do not over process or it will become pasty.
- Move the onion, jackfruit mixture to a separate mixing bowl.
- Place the garbanzo beans into the processor with all remaining ingredients, except for the ground oats.
- Pulse until the garbanzos breakdown and are integrated with the seasonings.
- Add the mixture to the bowl with jackfruit and onions, stir in the ground oats and stir well to combine.
- Refrigerate your batter for 30 minutes, minimum so flavors meld and batter becomes more firm.
When ready to bake:
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop a large handful of the crablike mixture and shape it into a patty. Repeat with all of the batter. You should get about 6 medium patties total.
- Place patties on the lined baking sheet and brush lightly with olive oil.
- Bake the patties for 18 minutes.
- Carefully turn over each patty and brush other side with olive oil
- Bake for another 18 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve on a gluten free bun with vegan tartar sauce. Or serve on its own with your favorite condiments.
For more vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free recipes, check out our recipe section on HealthTastesGood.com.