Makes About 4 servings
Prep Time: about 40 minutes total
Potatoes have got to be one of my all time favorite foods, especially vegan mashed potatoes! As a vegetable, potatoes are so versatile and when eaten as part of a varied plant-based diet, so healthy for you too. They are rich in many important nutrients. This article has a chart showing how rich potatoes are in vitamin C, phosphorus and manganese. As long as you are not eating fast-food fried French fries and counting them as your vegetable intake, potatoes can be consumed and prepared in a plethora of healthy ways.
In my mind, there is no more comforting comfort food than mashed potatoes. And, it is an easy swap to make them vegan and just as creamy and delicious! Preparation is almost the same, you are just swapping the dairy with plant-based milk. I like to add a bit of nutritional yeast to give them a bit of a cheesy flavor. I also cook my vegan mashed potatoes with a bouillon cube added to the cooking water. This adds some flavor and by reserving some of that water, infuses that flavor into the finished product.
Ingredients Needed for Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- 6 large white or yellow potatoes
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 TBS nutritional yeast
- 1 TBS earth balance
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup cooking water reserved
- 1 veggie bouillon
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder or to taste
How to Prepare Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- Peel and cut up potatoes. Add to a large pot with enough water to cover the potato cubes.
- Add one vegetable bouillon
- Bring the water to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until they are tender when pierced with a fork
- Drain the water from the potatoes, reserving 1 cup of potato water
- Move drained potatoes to a large bowl
- Add all remaining ingredients
- Using a hand mixer, mash together, using high speed
- Blend together until potatoes are mashed and remaining ingredients are incorporated
Serve as a side dish or however you enjoy mashed potatoes! Try it with our vegan no meat loaf recipe. Delicious!