Makes about 4 side servings
Prep Time: About 20 minutes total
I love broccoli of all forms, broccolini falls into that category. Just when I think, “hmm, maybe I should eat some other veggie instead of broccoli,” enter broccolini. This recipe is such a great compliment to the taste of broccolini. This Broccolini recipe is quick, easy and delicious. You don’t need to stop at broccoli or broccolini though. I have made this same sauce using swiss chard or spinach and it tastes so good with those greens as well.
Garlic is the key! I can never have too much garlic. The evil spirits will never come my way! My grandma and grandpa always taught me that garlic was healing. They were old school but they knew what they were talking about. Garlic does have antibiotic properties! Check out this article to learn more about the benefits of garlic, which are enormous.
It is amazing how much flavor you can produce by using so few ingredients. But, the capers, garlic and red pepper flakes are all strong tastes in their own right. Put them all together and BAM, what amazing flavor you create.
The total preparation time for this recipe is only about 15 minutes. It is a great side dish and can be served with just about anything. You can even pour it over gluten-free pasta to make it a filling meal. Experiment, add or subtract as you may see fit. Cooking is such a personal experience. Try this sauce with other veggies and see what you think.
I like my broccolini slightly firm. You can alter the cooking time for your personal preference. Keep in mind, though, that if you overcook your veggies, you will be cooking the nutrient value right out of your food. Keep it a little bit crisp. It will retain its bright green color and more of its nutritional value. When you cook greens until they are dull in color and mushy, you are cooking out the vibrant nutrition it contains. It is important to leave the nutrients somewhat intact. Otherwise, you are not gaining from the plant world’s natural offerings.
Broccolini Recipe with Garlic and Capers
- 1 TBS Dr Bronner’s Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
- ¼ TBS crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 TBS Earth Balance Vegan Butter
- 3 bunches organic broccolini – trimmed and leaves taken off
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
How to Prepare this Broccolini Recipe
- Heat the coconut oil over medium heat until melted
- Add the garlic slices, capers and red pepper flakes
- Stir while cooking until the scent starts to fill the room. This will only take about 30 seconds or so
- Add the Earth Balance and let it melt
- Add the broccolini and the sea salt
- Toss the broccolini in the sauce well and cover the pan
- Let cook, stirring frequently for about 6 minutes or until tender
Try this recipe over a baked potato with our cheese sauce recipe. It is fantastic!