If you love egg salad but, like me (due to allergies), can’t eat eggs, this is a substitute that really closely simulates the real thing. Since I first posted this awesome recipe, I have found out that I am also very sensitive to soy. So, I can’t enjoy this recipe any longer. But I still make it for my family and for those of you who want to avoid dairy and have no issues with soy, it is a wonderful substitute for this old fav.
- 1 pack extra firm silken tofu (organic, non-GMO)
- 2 ribs organic celery, minced
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup vegenaise (eggless mayonnaise – can be found in Whole Foods or health food stores)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons of fresh dillweed
- Paprika for garnish (optional)
- Mash the tofu in a medium sized bowl and fluff it up.
- Add the minced celery into a bowl and set this bowl aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine all the other ingredients and mix well until combined.
- Add the Vegenaise® mixture to the tofu mixture and combine well. It will take on the look of egg salad.
- Once combined, sprinkle with paprika if desired.
Use to make sandwiches, wraps or eat with celery sticks. It is even delicious straight out of the bowl!