I first discovered a recipe for raw ice cream at a small raw restaurant I used to go to in Manhattan, Raw Soul, which has since closed. As much as I loved the ingenious creations the chef, Eddie, at Raw Soul prepared, I just could not get my ice cream to come out right.
Here it is:
- 2 cups raw cashews – soaked for at least a couple of hours
- 2 cups of young thai coconut meat
- 1 cup of coconut water (use the water from the young thai coconuts)
- 2 tablespoons of raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract
- 1/2 a vanilla bean seeds – cut the bean down the middle, open it and scrape the seeds out
- 1 cup of agave nectar
- 1/4 cup of melted cacao butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
Blend all ingredients in a Vitamix until smooth. I have found that using a Vitamix is the best way to get the smooth consistency that is so important when making ice cream.
Pour the ice cream mixture into an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Alternatively, you can put the mixture in a container and freeze it in the freezer. It seems to come out creamier when an ice cream maker is used.