If you love alfredo, but don’t love the dairy and the massive amount of unhealthy calories it contains, this is the recipe for you. This simple recipe makes a creamy, delicious sauce – alfredo style without the guilt – and its healthy!
The secret ingredient here is cashews. That’s right, cashews! They give the sauce a creamy, rich texture and mild taste. You will feel like you are eating cheese but rest assured, this recipe is completely vegan – no dairy or animal products at all.
You can make this and mix it over your favorite pasta. I always recommend brown rice pasta as it is the purest form of pasta that I have found. It is a whole grain and its ingredients are simple – brown rice and water. It cooks well and tastes delicious. It takes a little longer to cook than regular pasta and needs lots of stirring, but once you try it, you won’t want to go back. My entire family eats it and loves the taste and texture.
This recipe does need a little bit of advanced preparation. In order to make your own cashew milk, which is called for in the recipe, you need to soak your cashews for at least one hour prior to making this recipe. Other than that, you can have this from blender to table in about 30 minutes.
- 1 cup cashew milk
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- 2 tbsp Nama Shoyu (raw soy sauce – you can use regular soy sauce if you like)
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 small onion – chopped
- 1 glove of garlic – crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch (for thickening)
- sea salt to taste
- Add all ingredients to a powerful blender and process until it is creamy.
- Pour the sauce into a medium saucepan and cook on the stovetop until it thickens. It should take only a few minutes. Stir frequently while heating.
- Remove from heat
Here is a quick recipe for making the cashew milk required in this recipe.
- 1/4 cup (raw) cashews, soaked for about an hour
- 1 cup purified water
Rinse the cashews after soaking until the water runs clear. Place cashews and water into a blender and process until while blended.